The Gokyo Lakes Nepal are part of the world’s highest freshwater lake system. They are spectacularly beautiful due to their iridescent turquoise colours and are unlike any freshwater lake system you will have encountered before.
The Gokyo Lakes Nepal are situated about a third of the way along on our famous Everest Circuit Trek. Last month we published a feature article on the Gokyo Lakes that is well worth a read. All our past Everest Circuit trekkers rate the Gokyo Lakes as one of the best highlights of their expedition. Their reasons are many and varied so we thought we’d put a list together to make it easy for potential trekkers to decide. In no particular order, here are 5 reasons we consider the Gokyo Lakes to be a must visit on your next trekking adventure in Nepal.
5 reasons to visit
1. They are an absolute highlight of any trek in the Everest region. The way their colours change depending on the time of day and colour of the sky is stunning.
2. They are situated right next to the tiny village of Gokyo which is located right next to the Ngozumpa glacier – the longest glacier in the Himalayas. A short 20 minute walk to the ridge-line above Gokyo will have you marvelling at the size and majesty of this incredible natural wonder. (If you trek the Everest Circuit you will get to cross the Ngozumpa glacier)
3. The Gokyo Lakes are also situated right at the base of 5360m Gokyo Ri. So if you visit the Gokyo Lakes you might as well climb to the top of Gokyo Ri and take in what is arguably the greatest view of Everest available to trekkers. (the well known view of Everest from Kala Patthar, while closer to Everest, does not include the entire north side of the mountain as it does from the summit of Gokyo Ri)
4. Pretty well everyone who visits the Gokyo Lakes Nepal will end up spending a night or two in Gokyo (the village). Gokyo is one of the most beautiful villages in the Everest region and is located right at the base of Gokyo Ri with 8201m Cho Oyu towering above. The views from Gokyo (and Gokyo Ri) in all directions are among the best in the Nepal Himalaya. Gokyo is also home to the “highest bookshop in the world” so if you fancy shopping for a book at 4750m you can!
See our photos of the Gokyo Lakes Nepal
5. You’ll get to see these stunning lakes in real life!
Trek Climb Ski Nepal run regular Everest Circuit trekking expeditions during the Nepal Spring and Autumn seasons. All our Everest Circuit treks visit the Gokyo Lakes and include 2 nights in Gokyo.